Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tie One On Tuesday


It snowed here last night...snowed...here...last night. I am usually a fan of the snow but c'mon Mother Nature! Work with me! It's March, I need some sun, I need some warmth, I need to go to a tropical island. 


While I can't get away to a tropical location, I can have a few beverages to remind me of warmer weather. 

I can feel the water on my toes, Frankie and Annette surfing by me on their longboards. I can almost taste the Blind Surfer...no, not some random dude sitting next to me, but a yummy fruity concoction.

The Blind Surfer
2 oz light rum
1/2 oz pisco brandy
1 tsp Blue Curacao liqueur
3 oz grapefruit juice
2 oz mango juice
1 oz passion-fruit juice
1 tsp orgeat syrup
Shake that baby up and serve over ice. Umbrella optional. 
 

One of my favorite things to do when I visit southern California is to go down to the boardwalk in  Santa Monica. I haven't been in years but I love it nonetheless. Whipping up a Boardwalk Breeze reminds me of walking down the pier and finding the best vintage stores. If you ever get a chance, go there-if you can't make it, this beverage is the next best thing.

Boardwalk Breeze
1 1/2 oz coconut rum
1 1/2 oz amaretto  liqueur
1 part orange juice
1 part pineapple juice
1 dash grenadine syrup
Shake and strain ingredients into a hurricane glass.

Okay, so I don't have a beach (the Oregon coast is FREEZING) and I can't get away- but I can download some wave sounds to my ipod, burn a Hawaiian Tropic candle (to this day, I will always associated Hawaiian Tropic suntan lotion with spring break), have OMP put on a cabana boy outfit and serve me by the pool or what is otherwise known as our bathtub.

By The Pool
1 oz  melon liqueur
1 oz peach schnapps
1 oz orange juice
1 oz 7-Up soda
ice
Shake briskley for 10 seconds and serve in a tall glass over ice.
 
 
It may be the alcohol taking effect but I am feeling warmer already.  Now, where is that cabana boy with a refill. He is never going to get a tip this way. I advise him to show a little skin-there's a fiver in it for him. Bottoms up!

 
 


3 comments:

LimeRiot said...

Oh! I think I've had a drink similar to the Blind Surfer and it is definitely perfect for summer times - whether we're dreaming of summer or actually enjoying it!

And I couldn't agree more about the Hawaiin Tropic. That is definitely a spring break scent!

Becky said...

Hee hee - now be nice to the Cabana boy.

I'm so jealous that y'all got snow...

Christina said...

When the weather starts to really warm up I stick with my oldie but goodie, Mojitos! Mmmm.... Wishing I could you send you some of the crazy warm winter weather we've got here on the east coast!