Monday, May 10, 2010

That's What Mama Likes

Yesterday was Mother's Day. I hope all the moms out there had a wonderful day. Even though my mother passed away 9 years ago, I still miss her. I miss her laugh. She didn't laugh, she cackled. When I was a kid, I was so embarrassed of that laugh. Now I realize that it was the best belly laugh on the planet. It meant that she was having a good time, throwing her head back and wanted everyone to know that the world shouldn't be taken so seriously. Now what does my mother have to do with movies-a lot! She loved a comedy and to honor her, I am sharing with you a few of her favorites. I'm not claiming these to be the best, but they brought a smile to her face.

When my mom was going through a rough time, we watched Blind Date over and over again. She didn't really like Bruce Willis (does anyone?) she loved John Larroquette. Every time he went a little crazy, that loud cackle came bellowing out. I have to admit, the movie was pretty funny. Bruce goes out with Kim Basinger and she has an allergy to alcohol. Well, of course you know what happens-she drinks and craziness ensue. John plays her ex boyfriend that wants her back. It is a definite winner to lift your spirit.


My mother LOVED Nick Nolte. I'm glad that she passed away before he went crazy homeless guy on us. She would have been disappointed. I'm sure in her best southern voice she would say, "Bless his heart, he can't help it. He's a drunk homeless mess." and all would be forgiven. 48 hours was Nick Nolte at his finest. The comedy was raunchy, the voice was hoarse and that's just the way my mom liked it. Nick Nolte plays a cop who works with con Eddie Murphy to solve a crime.Eddie may have stolen the movie but Nick stole my mom's heart.  The movie was so popular that they made a second one.

 Good old mom loved a man's man. She loved the bad boys. I remember asking her why she married my dad and her reply was, " He looked good in his uniform, not to mention, he had a tattoo." and my dad's reply-"She could stop traffic-36-24-36" Ain't love grand? Another thing my mother loved was a mustache. She again thought they were for bad boys, which is probably why she loved Burt Reynold in the role he was meant to play as the Bandit in Smokey and The Bandit. We even had a Trans Am-don't judge! It was the 70's and we were cool! Jackie Gleason as Sheriff Buford T. Justice is prize winning. The banter between him and his mind numbing son is hysterical. I am not ashamed to admit that I own this movie. How can you not love a movie about bringing Coors beer across the Tex-arcana border? Really? Coors? Maybe that's what made my mom laugh so hard.

Those are just three little gems that made my mom smile. To this day, I will pop in one of these great films and can hear her cackle, oh wait, that's me. Love you mom-thanks for passing on your passion for a good laugh and the loudness to let everyone know.

3 comments:

IamSusie said...

I loved smokey and the Bandit when I was a kid. It used to be on the ABC Sunday Night at the Movies once a year and we always watched it. Burt Reynolds was a huge star too.

It is so true about Coors being kinda lame, but back in the olden days of the 70's and early 80's, Coors was only available in certain states and was sort of a specialty beer. This was way before they allowed microbreweries.

Your mom sounds like she was a lot of fun!

Becky said...

Awww, such a sweet tribute to your Mom! I would have loved to meet her.

I worked at a theater when Smokey and the Bandit was released. I saw it so many times and laughed hard every time. And everbody in NC (but me) had a Trans Am or a Camaro in the late 70's.

I too love the Nick Nolte, bless his heart. North Dallas 40 is my fave Nolte movie.

Unknown said...

I LOVE Smokey and the Bandit! So hilarious. My favorite is when the son loses his hat and says to the sheriff--"I lost my hat daddy" and then he replies "I hope your head was in it!" I laugh hysterically every time I hear that.