Monday, March 15, 2010

When Irish Eyes are Smiling

It might be the thought of green beer or the hunt for the little peoples pot of gold under the rainbow, but this time of year makes me speak in an Irish accent and dance a little River dance.


Just where did I learn this little jig? From Darby O' Gill and the Little People, of course. The film stars a young Sean Connery in a tale of Leprechauns, pots of gold and banshees. I remember seeing this movie when I was a little kid in the theater and loved it so much I made my sister sit through the movie 3 more times. We watched the movie for the whole day. I'm pretty sure my sister went out and flirted with boys as I danced around the theater secretly wishing I could find the pot of gold and buy all the candy in the world. Hey-it could happen!


Speaking of dancing and singing. The next wonderful Irish movie is The Commitments. The soundtrack alone is worth checking out the film. Jimmy, a young unemployed Irish idea man,  decides to put together a soul group in his depressing slum of Dublin. The band is formed, but strife seems to rear it's ugly head, causing chaos to erupt, tearing the band apart. My hubby says this is the best film that shows what being in a band in real life is really like.


Our last stop on this cinematic tour of the Emerald Isle, is one of the most moving pieces of Cinema I have ever seen. In the Name of the Father is a true story of several Irish citizens, including a father and son, who are wrongly accused and convicted of an IRA bombing. A British lawyer helps clear their name and brings the father and son together. Warning! This is a very strong story that can polarize people and make you break out into tears when seeing injustice done in the world. You've been warned

After reviewing these 3 films Irish themed movies, I think I have found what I am looking for. They will make you laugh, dance, sing and give hope to the world around us, and that is definitely the pot of gold at the end of the proverbial rainbow.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Pam, you are so funny! I too tend to lapse into my best Maureen O'Hara this time o' year! And plan a big dinner of corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and my home made Irish Soda bread.

Agree completely with Mark - the Commitments is what a real life band experience is like.

Now, lass, go dust off yer shillelagh for the Holiday's Shenanigans are about to begin!

Hello there! My name is June said...

In the Name of the Father is such a powerful film. WHen it came out in theatres, my boyfriend at the time was visiting Ireland & he said that at the end...everybody stood up in the theatre to clap & cheer. I'd recommend everybody watches it at least once.
Darby is classic! I remember being a wee one & watching it on some old dame's black & white tv while my Great Aunt & I visited with her. I was really upset we had to leave before the end. Isn't it funny what the brain locks away in our memories?
Hope you had a fabby St. Paddy's Day!